Wednesday, 14 March 2007

A brief update

As predicted, I have not the time or energy to post a lengthy topic this evening. I'll promise you plenty soon. Just a few observations:
  • I had a conversation today about the surprising number of people who read others' blogs. I do not know whether the same is true for mine. If it is, do use the comments to say hello, to tell me to shut up, or to talk about particular topics. I'll oblige if I can
  • I observed with much jubilation that the House of Lordsa has voted against an elected House by a huge majority. And for the 50-50 split that the government wanted, there was a resounding 409-46 defeat, in approximate numbers. Excellent. Perhaps they all read my blog. Hopefully we'll soon have a Bill before Parliament to revoke the two Parliament Acts (1911 and 1949) and the House of Lords Act (1999).

I'll leave you know with one more thought:

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

P

No comments: