Monday, 26 March 2007

The struggle

This week

This week I have a rather absurdly busy timetable. But most pressing for me is my concert solo tomorrow, and Pupils' Question time - which I'm chairing and is somewhat chaotic. The reason I mention this is that I really should start my proper revision this week, in order to be in the swing of it before the holidays. But I shan't. Because I won't have any energy left, even when I have the time. This made me think.....

Why?

What a deep question. In my last, brief post I asked why we went to school. I had various replies. I wasn't expecting any, necessarily. But why do I do so much? What is the point of going to school? Well, for me, fairly obviously, it's to get my AAA and my Oxford place. But until then: why do everything else that I do? Why is it that my life is so busy and so fraught with stress that I can't even relax?

It's not something I'm alone in, I know. And I don't ask for sympathy. I don't actually want any, because it would do nothing and make me feel uncomfortable. But I've now got to the stage where I live for Oxford. I know others who live only - according to themselves, at least - for their offer from the Fenland Poly. So, since I know that we're all suffering under the same yoke, I thought I'd share with you all - before I return to my history essay - a poem, by Arthur Hugh Clough, which I oft find rather re-assuring:

Say not the struggle naught availeth,

The labour and the wounds are vain,

The enemy faints not, nor faileth,

And as things have been they remain.


If hopes were dupes, fears may be liars;

It may be, in yon smoke conceal'd,

Your comrades chase e'en now the fliers,

And, but for you, possess the field.



For while the tired waves, vainly breaking,

Seem here no painful inch to gain,

Far back, through creeks and inlets making,

Comes silent, flooding in, the main.



And not by eastern windows only,

When daylight comes, comes in the light;

In front the sun climbs slow, how slowly!

But westward, look, the land is bright!

3 comments:

Gavin said...

Last year was my struggle. I had 5 A-levels to work for, The Hired Man rehearsals and performance, senior prefecting (involving organising other prefects), trying to be President of Debating, the Sine Nomine concert (for which the rehearsals were daily by the end), AND the other concert stuff, along with singing and guitar lessons and rehearsing for The Tempest (our Theatre Studies practical) and trying to read up ready for Cambridge. Some days, since I was in charge of lunch rooms for the first 20 mins of lunch and rehearsing or debating for the rest, I would literally have no lunch break at all and would go on till 5.30 with the Hired Man. Nearly killed me.

Lidia said...

Now, where have I seen that poem before... ? ;)

I thank my lucky stars I'm at a comprehensive. I think a grammar school would have killed me - either that, or I'd have been excluded! lol!

I've given up trying to sign in on this stupid thing; it's driving me insane!!

Hugs and pokes xxx

Francis said...

It sometimes helps me to look at it this way:

You are alive - tough.

There are lots of opportunities out there - people to meet, skills to learn, experiences to experience.

You could just sit on your arse.

You might regret that.